Friday, September 20, 2013

A letter to God

Dear God,
I've heard you work in mysterious ways, but I don't seem to see the lesson here. When bad things happen, we are all supposed to nod our heads and say, "God works in mysterious ways." Then we are all supposed to find the hidden lesson in all that is happening. If the lesson is that you don't like us much, then message received. If the big take away from the Christian God is that you loved us so much that you sent your only son to die for our sins, I can tell you that is not good enough anymore. Way too many people have given up their lives for others for me to be impressed by you killing your son. How is that supposed to work anyhow? How am I supposed to feel better about you when you kill your son. If I met anyone else on this planet who had purposefully killed his son, that guy would be an asshole. If he said it was for a good cause, I would still be uncomfortable around that guy. If that guy told me he loved me and forced me to give him money and sing songs about him, I would not call that man mysterious. I would call him a dick.
Your all consuming love is a front for explaining away bad things. I for one, am sick of it. You sent your only son to die? Who gives a shit? I've known plenty of people who have died. Am I supposed to be impressed by the fact that you sent your son to die? So, you are all knowing and all powerful and so on; you would have known that your son would rise from the grave anyhow. So is that really sacrifice? You knew he was coming back. You knew, and yet we are supposed to literally bow down because you let your son come down to earth to die, even though you knew he was coming back. That's some sneaky shit, God.
Meanwhile, cancer is killing people everyday. Here's a list of  diseases that have been cured in modern times.
1. Chicken Pox (1995)
2. Diphtheria (1913)
3. Hib Disease (1985)
4. Malaria
5. Measles (1963)
6. Pertussis (Whooping Cough) (1933)
7. Pneumococcal Disease
8. Polio (1955)
9. Tetanus (1933)
10. Typhoid Fever (1896)
11. Yellow Fever (1944)
12. Smallpox 
I'm sure that you already knew all that information because, you are all-knowing and whatnot, but I'd like to remind you that a lot of diseases get cured. So what is your stance on cancer? Is it still you working in mysterious ways? If you wanted me to solve mysteries, shouldn't you have created me as a detective, or a crime sniffing dog, or a team of hard on their luck kids who solve mysteries? Or you could be more like David Blaine, David Copperfield, or Chris Angel, cuz those fuckers are mysterious. 
Here's the thing, God. You are trying to kill the people I love and it makes me hate you. There is no fucking mystery in that. 

Your old pal, 
Matt Beard 

No comments:

Post a Comment