Thursday, December 3, 2015

Ahh the magical holidays are back...

Matt and Sofia and I put up our Christmas tree last night and I found myself getting very emotional. The holidays are a difficult time for everyone, but this year, Matt no longer has a brother. Ryan was Matt's go-to guy to nerd out over things like video games and Star Wars. Matt is a closet nerd and he keeps trying to talk to me about Star Wars but I don't really know or care about the intricacies of the plot line.
I'm trying to make this year special for Matt because I know he is not in a good place.

Yesterday was a rough day for both of us, for no particular reason. It rained for three days straight, and I was listening to a lot of Emo. What really hit me though was Facebook showing me a particular "On this Day" picture of the two of us in the fall of 2012. Thank you Facebook for reminding me how thin and wrinkle free my body was just a short three years ago. The past three years have taken a toll on me mentally and physically.

November 2012 was a rough month. I had a miscarriage, I turned 32, my dad's uncle died and my brother was diagnosed with stage IV cancer.
My Brother found out the day before Thanksgiving, and my parents came to our home, in Charlottesville, on Thanksgiving, to drop off their dog. We dog sat for them for a few months while they traveled to Omaha to visit my brother.

This year, my brother will travel with his wife and daughter, to Virginia Beach. We are all looking forward to it, but I also understand that getting excited to see my brother is a reminder to Matt that he doesn't get to see his.

I guess adding on some weight and wrinkles isn't so bad when you consider the things we have been through as a couple in the past three years.

Since this picture was taken, we've been through:
11 months of unemployment
10 months of deployment
5 different jobs
3 dogs in our home
2 sick brothers
1 miscarriage
and a partridge in a pear tree.

May peace and joy find you this holiday season. Love the ones you are with, and send warm fuzzies to those that are far away. Namaste people.

2 comments:

  1. Life just sucks sometimes and it's ok to be angry and cry and scream and hate everything. Hang in there, both of you, and try to find some comfort in your strong love for each other. Hugs from the RACKS crew. (Ron Alexandra Camden Kyra Sosna)

    ReplyDelete
  2. �� love and hugs to the RACKS crew

    ReplyDelete