Saturday, October 12, 2013

Appropriate dinner convos

We went to visit my brother-in-law and fam last night.  I guess I'm a little too used to talking about this whole cancer thing because Matt reprimanded me for not tippy toeing around it.  Matt's brother was saying that he isn't sure if there is a type of genetic colon cancer and I jumped in with figures.  12% of colon cancer cases are genetic.  I discussed this over dinner and didn't think twice about what I was saying.

When a family member is diagnosed with cancer, it's all anyone can think about.  It's the elephant in the room and the room is tiny with no AC and it's full of shit.  The only things to talk about seem terrible.  It's difficult to joke around about normal everyday things like farting in public and not murdering your coworkers.

After a year of thinking about cancer nonstop, it's commonplace for me to regurgitate cancer tidbits and not have any concern for my audience.  I have to keep in mind, though, that to a newly diagnosed patient and his family, they may not want to discuss percentages.  And the pit of cancer talk is just as desparaging as the diagnosis itself.  In the future, I will try to not depress my dinner company.

1 comment:

  1. Perhaps this is a bit off topic but in any case I have been surfing about your blog and it looks really neat. impassioned about your writing. I am creating a new blog and hard-pressed to make it appear great and supply excellent articles. I have discovered a lot on your site and I look forward to additional updates and will be back.
    treatments

    ReplyDelete